Follow Me on Twitter

Sunday 10 January 2010

The Pilot: Flying high after near nose-dive

56 Wellesley Road
Chiswick, W4 4BZ
tel: + 44 (0)20 8994 0828

My local gastropub gets the honor of being the maiden entry for this blog. Over the years, I've had a love-hate relationship with The Pilot. When I first moved to Chiswick five years ago, I was jumping up and down with excitement to find this little beauty of a pub within stumbling distance from my flat. The food was incredible. The Irish landlord treated me like a long-lost sister. And there was equal attention paid to the wine list as the on-tap beer selection. But then something dreadful happened. Fuller's bought the place out. My Irish mate disappeared. So did the fantastic Australian chef. A lackluster menu and staff replaced everything that was good about the place. After one visit where I sent my raw roast chicken back three times, I boycotted the pub for nearly a year. But one night, when the rain was pelting down and my fridge was empty, I ran to The Pilot for respite. I was beyond delighted to see that it was all-change again - and this time for the better. The menu is exciting: rabbit tagliatelle in red wine jus has become a firm favourite. As has the moroccan lamb burger with sweet relish (must get recipe) and homemade chunky chips. Tender shoulder of lamb with shallots and puy lentils is beyond delicious. And the puddings...oh the puddings. Sticky toffee pudding is almost the best I have tasted. The dark chocolate brownie with white chocolate ice cream was the culprit in breaking my New Year's resolution. A friendly new staff of Brits, Americans and Eastern Europeans has been the cherry on the cake. After a near-nosedive, the Pilot is once again, flying high. 

No comments:

Post a Comment