Follow Me on Twitter

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Annie's: Nice eggs, shame about the place

162 Thames Road, Chiswick, W4 3QS
tel: +44 (0)20 8994 9080

"London is bereft of good brunch spots." So declared a friend of mine who lived here for many moons. I used to agree with her. Until I tried the Wolseley on Piccadilly. And Bistrotheque in Bethnal Green. And Aubaine in South Ken. But you know how it goes. Good news travels fast. Those places fill up quicker than you can shake an egg at weekends. So, I decided to go brunch-hunting in my own backyard. That's when I found Annie's. Nestled on a pretty street near Kew Bridge, it's only a stone's throw from the Thames. Giant wicker chairs and tables with bright pink and blue cushions and oversized vases of flowers adorn the outside. The inside is oh-so-cute too. Tres boho/shabby chic. I was in a little bubble of bliss, imagining throwing my 30th birthday party there when a clipped "have you booked?" from the waitress snapped me out of my reverie. I replied I was very sorry but I hadn't. "Fine then, sit over there," she snipped, waving a menu in the general direction of the corner. Such rudeness! I was tempted to walk out right then and there. Well, aren't I glad I didn't. I ordered an eggs royale (like benedict, but with smoked salmon). It came with perfectly cooked roasted potatoes, and home-crafted hollandaise sauce. Oh my it was good. Very good. I happily sipped away on my latte, read the paper and enjoyed every mouthful of my breakfast, wishing my London-brunch-skeptic friend was with me now. I had almost forgotten how nasty the waitress was until she slammed down the bill seconds after my last bite.  But if you're a London, you can handle rudeness. So walk on in with confidence, take a seat and demand the eggs royale that are fit for a queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment